Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valspar Paint Project + Giveaway

I have been looking forward to this blog post all week!  Recently, Valspar paint contacted me and asked me to do a product review on their new spray paint formula and can design - of course I agreed because I have always had good luck with Valspar paint. 




I also had a few spray paint projects in mind like art work for my laundry room...

Laundry Room Art Using Valspar Spray Paint

My laundry room was pretty bare and since we were adding new storage cupboards I figured this would be a great time to do a little extra decorating.  Here is what I came up with!


[Supplies]
Valspar spray paint (Lowe's)
11 x 14 Canvases (Hobby Lobby)
Letter stencils
Spray Adhesive

[Step 1] Make your stencils
I used my Cricut and the Don Juan and Lyrical Letters cartridges to create my stencils.  If you don't have a Cricut you can make stencils using fonts in Microsoft Word and printing your text on heavy cardstock, then cut out the letters with an exact-o knife.

[Step 2] Position Your Words
Take time to position your words on the canvases to decide where you want them.  Once you have that figured out, use spray adhesive to hold them in place on the canvas.  All you need to do is lightly spray the adhesive on the back of each letter and let it dry for about 30 seconds then re-position them on your canvas. 





[Step 3] Spray Away!
This is the fun part!  I used Valspar spray paint in Tropical Oasis.  I did two coats of spray paint.  The first coat was a very light coat of paint that I let dry for about 5 minutes.  Then I came back and finished up with one more coat.  The coverage was so even and consistant that's all the paint it took!

First Coat

Second Coat

Ta Da!  Here is the final product!



I have to say, the Valspar paint I used was awesome!  The coverage was very even and the continuous spray was definitely a plus.  Not to mention, clean-up was a "piece of cake" too!  All I needed to do was twist and lock the cap and clean-up was done - no drips to clean up or anything.

I had so much fun painting those canvases that I also painted a grapvine wreath using Valspar spray paint in Exotic Sea.  The coverage was still consistant and got into all of the cracks and crevaces that a wreath has without any trouble!



Valspar Paint Giveaway!!
Valspar was kind enough to offer a can of spray paint to 3 lucky readers! Winners will be contacted by email so make sure to include your email in your comment!  Here is how you can get entered to win:  (Separate entry for each)

1] Leave a comment to tell us what your spray paint project will be - find inspiration and ideas at http://www.valsparspray.com/ (+1 entry)
2] Become a Facebook fan of Valspar Paint (+1 entry, leave a comment below)
3] Become a follwer of Design Your Dwelling (+1 entry, leave a comment below)
4] Become a fan of Design Your Dwelling on Facebook (+1 entry, leave a comment below)
5] Share this post via Facebook to let your friends know about this great giveaway & product (+1 entry, leave a comment below)

Giveaway is closed but feel free to leave comments, become a follower and visit Valspar online!
Thanks for visiting! :)

34 comments:

  1. I'd probably do something in the laundry room as well, but with paw prints and maybe a word such as Meow or Treats... the laundry room serves a dual purpose as my cats room as well
    Melissa Thrune

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be fun to do the hand prints or foot prints of my kids for their bedroom. By the way, I LOVE the new look for your blog! Great colors! (Katie Vasquez)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would spray paint some buckets to use at the candy table and canvases to decorate at my wedding in April, then use them to decorate around the house afterwards.
    katerichter13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a clever idea! Thanks for entering the giveaway!

      Delete
  4. what a cool idea!! i love it. spray painting is one of my ways of doing a quick weekend project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! Expect I was told I should no longer spray paint in the basement the beau says it's a better outdoor activity! Ha! However, that's not a possiblity in the winter since I live in Iowa! Thanks for becoming a new follower and a fan on Facebook!

      Delete
  5. my project would be the Terracotta Herb Garden

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for becoming a follower! I checked out your blog and it is super cute! I will look forward to keeping up with it!

      Delete
  7. i liked design your dwelling on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to make a photo gallery wall of frames, so I'd use the spray paint to paint them all the same color and then display family photos and various art pieces in them. Thanks for the giveaway, Beth! Love your new site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice - I love gallery walls! Thanks for reading Kelly - I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  9. I also follow you on google reader. You have a fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am dying to do some art for my master bedroom and bath.. and I would love to give Valspar another try!! (I used it one time and not a lot of success, but I am really still learning!) Love their can paint for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This spray paint worked out well for me! I hope your project turns out great! I find it easier to create my own vision for artwork rather than search until I find it! :)

      Delete
  11. I liked Valspar on Fb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am now following you on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a follower of you blog! (and love your project and great giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I shared this giveaway on FB....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also already like Design Your Dwelling on fb

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute! I think i will do a similar project if i win :) I love the colors you used also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS: i used a very similar valspar color to make this coffee table

    http://203suburban.blogspot.com/2011/01/coffee-tableend-table.html

    It was mediteranean Blue - It looks a lot more "brighter" in the day light than in those pics..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to paint a chair to match my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like Valspar on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now a Facebook fan of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for becoming a fan and follower! I like your spray paint project idea too!

      Delete
  21. I follow you by GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I shared the giveaway on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! Makes me wish my laundry room wasn't a half finished concrete bunker in the basement so artwork wouldn't look totally out of place. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...