Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It's That Time of Year Again...

In yesterday's blog post I mentioned being a "farm widow." I should probably explain what that means before you start to all feel bad for me thinking that we just got married and my husband all of a sudden passed away.  That is not the case - he is very much alive and well! :)

Being a farm widow actually refers to harvest (or planting) when your husband, who is a farmer, becomes so busy that you hardly see or talk to him. While this means that I get to paint walls an absurdly dark color and re-decorate without any objections it is actually more than that!

It requires patience and understanding. It means late dinners which are sometimes eaten in the field. Doing chores when I get home from work and extra errands.

Most importantly it means being so proud of your husband that all you can do is smile and brag about him because he is doing what he truly loves while at the same time putting others first by feeding and fueling our world. That is what a farmer does.  It's pretty incredible to see his hard work pay off.

I have to be honest, I'm not great at fulfilling all these requirements, like patience and understanding, because I start to miss him. Fortunately, I grew up with parents who were full-time farmers so I "get it."

So, when I say "It's that time of year again" I'm not referring to fall decorating and pumpkins I'm actually referring to taking on a different role as a wife, one I'm happy to fulfill.

As for the fun stuff, I'm going to buckle down, be brave and do some re-decorating around the house while no one is around to tell me "no".  I'll also be focusing a little more my e-design business. Be on the look out for new projects and client updates!

I'll leave you with this cool picture from the walk 'Axe' and I went on last night...


Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. Growing up as a farmers daughter and now the wife to a husband who is gone almost weekly for business, well I totally understand and get this. Staying busy with projects and hanging out with girlfriends always helps to keep me from feeling sorry for myself. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am not a farmer's wife I am a truck driver's wife and the rules stand the same. I really struggled with this after Easton was born because I felt like a single parent 90% of the time but without my husband's career and income there is no possible way we would have what we have today. I am forever grateful for him and everything he does :) Have fun with all the projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a farmer's wife, so I totally get this. Like Mandy, I also am a solo parent. My husband hasn't seen our little girl more than 4 times over the last month. I hate that they have to work so hard. I wish more people appreciated them! And way to go on keeping occupied! It really does help make the season "easier." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I grew up on a farm and if I wanted to see my dad I had to ride along with him....one of my all time favorites things to do was to go to the grain elevator with him :)

    Fun read, happy redecorating! Stopping by from That Friday Blog Hop, Dawn from http://www.IThinkWeCouldBeFriends.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...