| Photo Courtesy of Style Me Pretty |
It's been awhile since I've written a 'Wedding Wednesday' post but I honestly haven't been doing much wedding planning since all of the big things are booked and it's a little too early to start working all of the little details. (That statement will probably come back to bite me in the butt!)
Just before Christmas I went dress shopping at a cute little dress shop near my hometown in New Ulm, Minnesota called Sister's Bridal. I was just going to try on dresses for the fun of it and find out which style I liked and what fit me the best and as luck would have it, I said "yes to the dress!" Yep, that's right, I bought my wedding dress at the first place I went to. Check that off my list! :) (And no, its not even similar to the one in the picture, in case you were wondering!) As I reflect on my 1.5 hours of wedding dress shopping, I've come up with some dress shopping tips for you to consider. I took all of them into consideration before I did my shopping! You might find a few a little quirky and yet (hopefully) helpful!
1} Decide how you want to feel on the day of your Wedding. Do you want to feel beautiful? Elegant? Hot? Like a supermodel? How you decide you want to feel will help you narrow down your field of dresses and if you get that "feeling" when you try the dress on you, you're on the right track!
2} Go to the gym. You know that you're going to get a gym membership anyhow and you plan to commit to working out prior to your wedding, so why not start early?! The last thing you want to do is look at yourself in the mirror wearing a dress you love and say, "wow, I really need to get to the gym!" Take time work your arms, shoulders and butt!
3} Do your hair and makeup... extra special! The day you go try on dresses take time to do your hair and makeup and maybe even spend a little extra time on it. You want to feel beautiful when you leave your house! (And maybe even wear one of your favorite outfits) This will give you a little extra boost of confidence!
4} Wear a strapless bra. You wont regret this! It helps "the girls" look a little perky-er and fills out the dress much better.
5} Be open-minded. What you think you like might change. I had the style of dress I wanted all picked out and picked out something very different. Try on everything! Also considering dress shopping without expectations.
6} Don't confuse yourself. This is easy to do because everyone is giving you their opinions, you are trying on so many dresses and you have multiple appointments set up. If you find a dress you love, it looks fantastic on you and fits in your price range, BUY IT! No sense in confusing yourself by going to try on more dresses "in-case." You can always cancel your other appointments.
Hopefully these tips help - they helped me find my perfect dress! Leave a comment below if you have any dress shopping tips to add!
One tip I have is to not take too many people with you. To many opinions can be confusing and sometimes end up hurting someone's feelings. Keep it simple :)
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to see what you picked! I bet it's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI only have a small "regret" list from my wedding day including not having professional pictures taken at the reception and only letting my dad thank our guests for coming to the reception and not speaking myself. But the biggest "if I had to do it all over again I'd do if differently moment" was not having my make up professionally done. If you want to feel like a princess on your wedding day I highly recommend going all out on hair, make up, nails, tanning or spray tan (if that's your sort of thing), etc. Even if you are on a tight budget have a trusted friend do your make up (you can always practice before hand), it will make you feel extra special on your big day!
ReplyDeleteI am newly engaged and one of the things I am most nervous about is finding a dress. I've always had an issue with clothes since I am a tall gal. I am also non-traditional. So needless to say there are 105 things running around in my mind. These tips make me feel a bit more relaxed. Thank you!
ReplyDelete