Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wedding Wednesday - Tips for Choosing a Wedding Theme

Seriously, I am no expert on planning a wedding but I thought tips for choosing a wedding theme would be an appropriate post for two reasons.  First, I keep getting asked what my "theme" is and second, the wedding checklist in my wedding planner said I should should select a theme 10 months before the wedding. :)

So, I did some research on wedding themes and took into consideration how I selected our theme and came up with these three tips! (Fortunately, my fiance is leaving these sort of details up to me!)

1 | Your Theme Should Reflect Your Personal Couple Style
I totally agree with this.  If you choose a theme, it should reflect your personal style.  Is your relationship simple? Fun-loving? Do you and your finance love to travel? Are one of you from another country and incorporating multiple cultures into your wedding?  Think through this some and see what you come up with!

2| Make Sure Your Wedding is Timeless
Have you ever looked back on something you've done and said, "why did I ever wear that?" Think about this when selecting your theme!  Rainbow colors have had their moment in time...

3| Consider  Your Budget
This is tough because it is hard to resist every idea or item related to your wedding theme.  Take into consideration your budget and figure out what is most important to you and your fiance on your wedding day!  We considered a destination wedding, but it didn't fit the budget knowing we wanted to have a fun party to celebrate with all of our friends.

The benefit of having a theme is it brings some cohesiveness to your wedding from the ceremony to the reception!

One last thought on themes... just because you are getting married close to a holiday, don't feel like your wedding has to reflect the holiday theme.  Instead, do what you want! :)  (If I was having a winter wedding, I would probably still choose pink or coral!)

So... what's our Wedding theme?!  Vintage Meets Modern!

I love the colors of vintage and some of the elements, like lace and wire baskets, but I know that vintage is a trend right now.  I have no interest in doilies, feathers or old-fashioned cameras and ice cream.  That's where modern comes into play!  I love the clean lines and geometric prints and typography that say "modern" and I would say that modern fits our personal style!  I must admit, we are pretty "with-it" couple! :)


Vintage colors/modern dresses

Wire Baskets w/modern labels

Vintage Inspired Garters
Vintage lace garters


Invitations
Modern, Geometric invitations

Cute wedding program. I like this because I'm always trying to figure out who is who.
Un-traditional program

I have a vision to combine the two styles and make it a day that everyone enjoys, reflects our personal style and fits within our budget!

Bottom line: We're just going to go with things we like and make sense for us - if they relate to my Vintage Meets Modern theme - awesome!  If not, well, that's ok because it's something we want!

Thanks for stopping by and have a happy hump day!

**All pictures are from Pinterest or Style Me Pretty, none are original photos of Design Your Dwelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...