Color is one of the quickest and most inexpensive wasy to update your home or a piece of furniture but deciding on paint colors can also be an overwhelming task. Here are the three principals I follow to select color.
1. Seek Inspiration!
Color inspiration can come from anywhere. Maybe there is a hue (color) in the fabric of a decorative pillow or wall-hanging. Inspiration may come from a flower garden or favorite shirt. Just take time to notice the colors around you. I found my color inspiration from this vase that was sitting on my co-workers desk. It is the exact shade of turquoise I was looking for!
2. Select Your Colors!
Using your color inspiration, it's time to pick your colors. It may be helpful to bring a sample of your inspiration to the paint store to find a color that closely matches. I brought this vase into Lowe's yesterday and found a color that matched what I was looking for. I chose the middle color called "Ocean Voyage."
3. Test Your Color! (This is what you should do, I just selected a color...)
Once you have narrowed your choices to a select few colors, test them out to get a feel for how they might look in the room you want to paint. You can test them out by taping the samples to your wall or asking the paint store if you can get a small sample container to actually paint a portion of the wall. Look at the color during different times of the day and in different light and notice how it affects your mood - colors envoke emotion.
Easy, right?!
And now, a moment of honesty. I am nervous to re-paint this dresser! I hope it turns out! Watch for a follow-up post about re-painting furniture. I'll give you the good, the bad and (hopefully not) the ugly.
Wish me luck...
Beth
No comments:
Post a Comment