You see, we decided to renovate the main floor of our 1920 farmhouse to create an open floor plan and ultimately create the feel of more square footage. Adam called the contractor on December 30. They said they would give him a week's notice so we could move everything out and so that Adam could tear down all of the walls, which are still plaster and lath (yep, old).
Our contractor called Saturday. A week's notice versus just over 48 hours, what's the difference?! I mean seriously...no biggie. It's not like we didn't have plans to go out with friends or anything.
In that 48 hours we had move everything out the main floor of our house (minus the food in the fridge and our canned goods), took out half of our kitchen cabinets, removed all of the trim and knocked out the walls that separated our kitchen from our dining room. Ooofta! (Did I ever mention that I'm originally from Minnesota?)
Here is what our house looked like on Sunday morning...
Here is the same view on Sunday evening...
Progress? I'd say so thanks to, probably, the most handy, hard-working husband in the world.
Can you see our vision?? If not, the good news is that this little blog will take on a new topic - home renovation. Be ready for progress updates.
Next I'll share what our space currently looks like and identify the changes we'll be making. Followed by my vision for the new space. It'll be fun!
Oh yeah... and if you're looking for a good cookie recipe. Check out this one!

woo hoo! I love home renos! Can't wait to see the progress!
ReplyDeletecan't wait!
ReplyDeleteWowser! That is some serious demo! Can't wait to see some progress.
ReplyDeleteWhoa, first off, I can have your 1920s farmhouse?? Dream come true! Second, I can't wait to see the progress, I'd say you both are very hard workers to do that in a day! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteSince I love this house so much, I'll have to turn down your ask! :) However, I have to admit that it's a little boring (right now) and not very big. I was asked if I just wanted to build a house in town but I'm not ready to give up our farm site or our house. Thanks for the good luck wishes... we'll need them. Ha!
DeleteExceptional writing. At this time we are very busy own working. There is very short time for entertainment. This time is appropriate for sleeping. This author don not watch TV before blogging. It is one type good news.
ReplyDeletehome remodeling
Wow! I'd be having a heart attack looking around at that. How exciting! Can't wait to follow along on your progress as you transform your house. Very cool.
ReplyDeleteThanks Emily! My husband is sort of having a heart attack... he hates messes. I trust he'll survive.
DeleteI can imagine how excited you were after your contractor called! Home renovations won't just make your place a lot more beautiful, it will also ensure that your foundations are strong enough for your security. What are your plans for the basement, anyway? Transforming it to a room addition? :)
ReplyDeleteAbel Holmes @ DemandRestoration
You can even get them developed according to the design in which rest of the units in your house have been developed. This is going to arrange the look of your kitchen with that of your house. construction companies san francisco
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWell that escalated quickly! If there's something good about short notices, it's that you guys can start quickly and can see the results in a shorter amount of time. I hope your husband didn't get hurt in this tearing down the walls task. Good luck with the reno!
ReplyDeleteLynn Williamson @ DALBuilders.net
So how did the whole renovation go? Was the final result adequately comfy and pleasing? I do hope so. So have you posted the pictures of your newly-renovated abode? Can you direct me to those, if you have posted about it? I want to see. Haha! Thanks.
ReplyDeletePaul Klassen @ Pinnacle Group
The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents...Great job, keep it up..
ReplyDeleteinterior designer