Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Home Office Reveal


FINALLY I am showing off my home office! I've been hinting at it on Instagram and Facebook so it's about time that I give you the goods. This project has only been in the works for 2 years.  Mostly because I couldn't decide on the color to paint my cabinets until I learned to "Be Brave."

Before I show you the current state, I need to share the "before" picture with you.  It will add a little more shock value so hopefully you wont walk away from this post and say, "hmmph, I expected more..." :)


Yep, that is what we started with, an old Iowa farmhouse basement.  Thanks to my sweet husband for saying "Honey, you need a space for yourself and all of your creative work." Which probably really meant, if I fix up the basement she'll keep all of her crafty stuff out of the dining room. :)  Regardless, I am thankful that he had the basement painted for me and had a friend build custom cabinets as my Christmas present. 

Here you go... the after!


My new decorating motto is "Be Brave" I picked this up from ABChao, a blogger whose Design Camp I attended in Minneapolis.  For this project, being Brave meant painting my cabinets a blue/green color  (Slow Green by Sherwin Williams - SW6456) instead of painting them white or staining them which would have probably been the logical thing to do. :)

There are a few quirks that I wish we could fix like actually putting sheet rock on the walls but we have a small leak on days when we get a really  heavy rain.  I would also love to have the floor leveled but that would take a lot of money which means I would have to starting doing a lot more e-design work. (Feel free to ask, I would love to help you out!)

Regardless of the quirks that still exist, I have fallen in love my stone, farmhouse basement space, that still leaks every once-in-awhile. At least it didn't have dirt floors...

Featured on Tuesdays at Ten June!  Thanks Michelle!


31 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I wish I had a lovely space of my own. Alas, it's in my dining room. Love your motto, too!

    Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! Dining rooms are a great backup plan for office/work space! :)

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful! What a transformation. I love the color of the cabinets. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! It took me a long time to pick out the color but I am SO happy with it!

      Delete
  3. This is totally cute!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks AWESOME!!! What a great space to have in your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is always more I would love to do but when I look at the before picture I am pretty satisfied. It's really nice to have it double as my home office for my real job too!

      Delete
  5. So beautiful! It's amazing to see what it was before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I didn't realize the transformation either until I looked at the before picture again!

      Delete
  6. It's adorable! So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a transformation, I love it! It looks so clean and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica - looking back at the before picture I recognize how big of a transformation it was but I love it!

      Delete
  8. lucky duck! i wish i had a space that huge for my office! all that storage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carissa - it's nice to have a lot of space and then just be able to shut the door. :)

      Delete
  9. OH my Goodness...Shut the Front Door and come decorate for me. I LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would love to come to North Dakota to help you decorate your house! If you can give me some tips on photographing interiors?! :)

      Delete
  10. I just found your blog through the giveaway and its so fun and chic!! Your office looks amazing! Also I love it that your from Iowa! Its a great place to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janene! Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment! You must be from Iowa also?!

      Delete
    2. Cool! I am on the exact opposite side of the state near Carroll! Ha!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness! This is so amazing. That's obviously a HUGE transformation. You did a really awesome job. You're definitely inspiring me to get my little office nook in my bedroom together. Thanks for linking up with Meet and Greet! I think I'm about to become obsessed with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I absolutely love the colours you picked for your cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous!!

    New follower!! Love your blog!

    Stop on by any time:
    www.designermommy13.blogspot.com

    xo
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had this much space to myself. I have a tiny office area, I really like what you have done with the place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just stumbled across your post via Ten June. I am in love with your basement! :) I have a similar basement situation and I would LOVE to transform it from the drab grey boring mess it currently is. Did you have to patch/fill any spots in the walls or floors before painting or did you just paint right over them? Any product recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, we did have to fill a couple of holes in the wall. Unfortunately it didn't work the best so I have to find an alternative to plug a couple of holes to keep a little bit of water from coming in the basement. However, we do have an exposed rock wall and we didn't level the basement floor (I wish we did) so we hired a painter to paint for us so that he could get into all of the cracks. If you contact a painter, he/she will know what to do! Hopefully that helped. If you have more questions, feel free to send me a quick email.

      Delete
  16. I love this so much! You did a fantastic job.. and who would think mint cabinets?! genius.

    so gorgeous!

    http://hazelberrypaper.blogspot.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/hazelberrypaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks! I love the mint cabinets - I am so glad I decided to be brave!

      Delete
  17. I know this was posted long ago, but I stumbled upon this post via Pinterest and I am so in love that I want to replicate this in my own unfinished basement. Would it be possible for you to share the lengths of both sides of the desk area? :) It all looks so awesome I want to be like you too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...