Sometimes I surprise myself.
I heard plenty of pre-mommy-hood stories about how...
"you will never have time"
"your house will be a disaster"
"your going to have spit-up on you wherever you go"
"you'll never sleep"
"your life is over"
This scared me and I was convinced that I was going to fall apart as human-being.
Then I remembered how good my mom was at holding it all together, getting everything done, and looking like a million bucks every time she left the house. I began to pray that those traits, somehow, had made it into my DNA. Some did. (Thank you God!)
I've found there are four things that I am surprisingly better at now that I'm a mom...
Washing dishes. I hate doing dishes. Since Colton came along there are never dirty dishes in our sink anymore. I wash bottles once a day and since the sink is already full of hot, soapy water I was dirty dishes too.
Picking up the house. We don't have a big house so a little clutter (baby stuff) basically makes our house look like it's a disaster. I pick up the house once a day and sweep/dust/vacuum our floors regularly. I never had a messy house, I just make more of an effort now. (p.s. That's just my camera bag on the table in the picture...)
Being more timely. I have my dad's genes when it comes to timeliness. I always think I can "just do one more thing." That's changed. When I have to go, I (99% of the time) stop what I'm doing and leave.
Getting fully ready first thing in the morning. Pre-Colton days I used to wait to shower on my home office days and weekends until after I went to the gym. Then I would only dry my hair. Now, most mornings (not all) I get fully ready (hair, make up, etc...). I think it's about feeling human and confident for me. Plus, I never know how my day is going to go anymore.
Who would have thought I'd be better at these things?? Definitely not my husband. Probably not my mom either...
Don't worry, there have been things I've gotten worse at too. I'll save that post for another time. :)

I'm impressed! I'm still terrible at all 4 of those things!
ReplyDeleteHa! Thanks Katie. Like I said, I surprise myself sometimes. :)
DeleteThis was so encouraging!
ReplyDeleteThe hubs and I are very active, teaching and coaching and doing stuff with the Church and family—so I have always been terrified of my life falling apart as soon as we decide to have kids. I've always wanted to be a mom, but it can be really discouraging to think of everything you value before kids being covered with spit-up and choas ;)
http://KatrinaCrouch.blogspot.com
Hi Katrina! Glad you found this encouraging. I thought the same way you did but now I think that kids are the best. We still get to do fun stuff but sometimes have to turn down chances to do something because we don't have a babysitter. If you set your mind to it - you can do it! :) Thanks for stopping by!
Delete